Check the Status of your Tax Return

Tax Act

Check the Status of your Tax Return

Once you have filed your tax return you are sure to want to know its status and when your tax refund will be arriving. The IRS provides a couple of different options for you to determine when your return has been received and when your refund will be arriving. Start today at

The IRS website has a ‘Where’s my Refund?’ option which provides the information you are seeking. You need to provide three pieces of information to obtain the status of your return. Provide your Social Security Number, your Filing Status, and the dollar amount of your refund. The service is in Spanish in addition to English and is completely secure.

If you e-filed your return, the IRS will have your refund status within 3 days of you filing your return. If you mailed in a copy of your return, you will need to wait 3 or 4 weeks to begin checking the status of your return.

The online service will provide for you acknowledgement of receipt of your return, the mail date or direct deposit date, and information related to your refund being returned if the mailing address you provided was incorrect. There are also some specialized notifications based upon your individual status.

Visually impaired taxpayers will have no problem using the online service as there are a number of accessibility features. There is also a toll free number if you would rather use your phone to track your return. Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1954 or 1-800-829-447 for the TeleTax System. Refunds are often sent on Fridays which might cause variations in the amount of time needed for you to receive your return.

Start your Free Tax Return today with TurboTax Online.

5 Things about Identity Theft and Tax Returns

5 Things about Identity Theft and Tax Returns

Five things about Identity Theft from the IRS that you need to know to avoid scams this tax season. What to expect from the IRS in the form of communication and who to contact if you think you have become a victim.

1. If you receive a letter or notice from the IRS that makes you think your identity has been stolen or someone has used your social security number illegally, contact the IRS immediately.

2. Contact the IRS right away if you receive a notice that more than one tax return has been filed in your name.

3. If you receive a notice that wages were earned by you from an employer that you have no working experience with, your identity may have been used to file a return unknown to you.

4. If at first you are unsuccessful clearing up misuse of your identity with the IRS, the department has a special office you may contact called the IRS Identity Specialized Unit.

5. You can contact the IRS Identity Specialized Unit 8 am to 8 pm Monday through Friday at 1-800-908-4490.

%d bloggers like this: