5 Things about Identity Theft and Tax Returns
Five things about Identity Theft from the IRS that you need to know to avoid scams this tax season. What to expect from the IRS in the form of communication and who to contact if you think you have become a victim.
1. If you receive a letter or notice from the IRS that makes you think your identity has been stolen or someone has used your social security number illegally, contact the IRS immediately.
2. Contact the IRS right away if you receive a notice that more than one tax return has been filed in your name.
3. If you receive a notice that wages were earned by you from an employer that you have no working experience with, your identity may have been used to file a return unknown to you.
4. If at first you are unsuccessful clearing up misuse of your identity with the IRS, the department has a special office you may contact called the IRS Identity Specialized Unit.
5. You can contact the IRS Identity Specialized Unit 8 am to 8 pm Monday through Friday at 1-800-908-4490.