Five things about Identity Theft from the IRS that you need to know to avoid scams this tax season. What to expect from the IRS in the form of communication and who to contact if you think you have become a victim.
1. If you receive a letter or notice from the IRS that makes you think your identity has been stolen or someone has used your social security number illegally, contact the IRS immediately.
2. Contact the IRS right away if you receive a notice that more than one tax return has been filed in your name.
3. If you receive a notice that wages were earned by you from an employer that you have no working experience with, your identity may have been used to file a return unknown to you.
4. If at first you are unsuccessful clearing up misuse of your identity with the IRS, the department has a special office you may contact called the IRS Identity Specialized Unit.
5. You can contact the IRS Identity Specialized Unit 8 am to 8 pm Monday through Friday at 1-800-908-4490.
In just 5 minutes you can get a 6 month extension beyond the normal April 15, 2009 deadline this year. Everyone is eligible and you will receive an email notification after the IRS has approved your extension. These are the great services offered by FileLater LC.
Benefits of FileLater LC
There are great reasons to you FileLater LC that you should consider if you want extra time to make sure your return is completed accurately and to your greatest advantage. The company’s online service is easy to understand and the process takes just minutes. The online application is secure with McAfee so you know your information will not be compromised. And their support team is there to assist you if you have questions.
Payment System for Owed Taxes
Filing an extension does not allow you to avoid paying any tax owed to the IRS prior to the due date, it only allows you the extra time you need to complete the return and file it with the government. Therefore, FileLater LC has an online payment system in place so you can make a payment when you file your extension if you feel that you will owe taxes when you compete your return.
The IRS has released their top 10 tax tips for January 2009 and we are presenting the first 5 tips here for you. Make sure to check back with us for more tax tips and great tax services available online for your 2008 tax return.
1. Check you return one more time. When you are ready to file your return online, make sure all the social security numbers are correct and all calculations are accurate.
2. Consider e-Filing. When you file your return online the time it takes to get your refund is twice as fast according to the IRS versus when you file a paper return.
3. Direct Deposit is even faster. When the IRS is able to deposit your return directly into your account, you’ll receive it quicker than if you wait for a check in the mail from the federal government.
4. Take a look at IRS.gov. The government site has all kinds of good stuff including tips, forms, frequently asked questions, and new tax laws that change during the tax filing season.
5. The IRS also answers questions. If you have a pressing question that you cannot find the answer to online, the IRS has a customer service line that you can call with all your tax questions. It is 1-800-829-1040.
If you didn’t get the advice and assistance you needed last year from your online tax preparation provider, TaxBrain is the online tax preparer that you need to use this year. With five different forms of online help and support, you’ll get the answers you need to all your tax questions.
TaxBrain offers Live Chat, Telephone Support, eMail Support, Secure WebMail, a Knowledge Base, and a FAQ option. Chat live with their support team when you are preparing your return or preparing your tax information, whenever you have a question. Their telephone support is available every business day during normal business hours. eMail Support is available if you would like ask a question quickly and get a response in a timely manner. Or use their Secure WebMail service when you need to communicate personal sensitive information.
TaxBrain will automatically determine which forms you need to complete and which 1040 option is most appropriate for you. File your federal tax return, get a fast refund, e-File for free, and get all the advice you need. They will review your return transfer your taxes from prior years, and guarantee the security of your information.TaxBrain is the premier online tax preparation service that you’ll use every year after your use them once.
A number of tax credits which reduce your tax bill dollar for dollar that you might not have known about or might not have qualified for before are now worth taking a look at.
Income Tax Sappy (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Recovery Rebate Credit
If the rebate checks that were sent out last tax season didn’t find their way to you because you made too much on your 2007 1040 tax return, you have a second opportunity to receive the credit for the 2008 tax season. Therefore, if you income has decreased for any reason during 2008, make sure to double check your qualifications this year so you can now claim the $600 per taxpayer credit.
First-Time Homeowner Credit
This is an interest free loan to anyone that purchased a house for the first time between April 9th of 2008 and June 30th of 2009. Loans are equal to 10% of the value of the home or a maximum of $7,500. You’ll have to pay back the loan over the next 15 years but a no interest loan from the government cannot be beat.
If you are looking to prepare, print, and file your tax return electronically this tax season all for free, TaxAct Online 2013 is the software you will want to use for both a complex and a simple return. And TaxAct will guarantee that your refund is the maximum refund allowed.
Supports All 1040 Tax Forms
Weather you are looking to file the 1040EZ, the 1040A, or the full length 1040 tax return, TaxAct Online supports all three forms and allows you to electronically file (eFile) each form for maximum speed and efficiency. With TaxAct Online you can get your return in as few as 8 days.
TaxAct Online provides one of the least expensive state return options you will find. For $13.95, TaxAct Online will prepare, print, and eFile your state return directly with your state. Your federal tax information will be imported for you making the state return simple and accurate. And when you eFile your state return, you will receive confirmation from the state as proof that you have filed your taxes.